Friday, December 7, 2007

Dear "Mr. H"

Dear Mr. H, please stick your hand down your pants and grab the hard thing you feel. That hard thing is the knot your panties are obviously tied in! After reading your comments from my "The Drive 98.9 FM launches with Immodium" blog, I'm worried you're getting a little too worked up over my take on Kingston's radio market.

The first thing I need to clarify is that while I'm amused that Kingston radio jocks and sales reps have spent their time (and your money) reading my rants, you're not the target audience. This site was created for, and the majority of it's readers come from, Kingston advertisers. The more I worked with businesses in Kingston, the more I found that each was very confused by what the different sales reps from the mighty 3 Kingston radio properties were telling them. Here's rule #1 for this blog: I'm here to help them make sense of things, and to vent my opinion on the good or bad job I see Kingston radio stations doing. If I got your goat, great!

  1. I'm going to call it CTVglobemedia. You can call it whatever you want. Since CTVglobemedia owns it, and CHUM as we all knew it is now part of the ingredients that make up CTVglobemedia, you can have all the heritage you want. We don't refer to the owners of CFMK and CFFX as Frontenac Broadcasting or Power Broadcasting. Please refer to rule #1.
  2. The AMC Pacer was a great car. Don't diss it! As far as changing your format, you can do whatever you want for whatever reason you want. It's kinda like hair colour... go ahead and die your hair pink. It's your hair, but it doesn't mean I can't laugh at you. Please refer to rule #1.
  3. You're a little too quick to dismiss the BBM book. Why bother spending the thousands of dollars to be part of the survey if you only "take it with a grain of salt, blend it with 2 or three other books, spin it, toss it, and it'll be over by the time Christmas comes?" The last time I checked, it's what the advertising agencies use to book spots in a market, and if big budget spenders like Tim Hortons, McDonalds, Coors Light, and East Side Mario's use those numbers, they must usually mean something. I was dismissing this single book, since it's the survey of stations that doesn't take into account your station switch, Lite 104.3's switch, KIX Country's split, ect. Maybe if you had the number 1 station in most demos you would take the book more seriously than just with a grain of salt. But that's just my opinion. Please refer to rule #1.
  4. The DRIVE 98.9 FM or 98.9 The DRIVE... whatever! It's a name, and in my opinion, lacks edge. But I'm just one person with an opinion. The fact that you believe in it is great! It's your brand, you spent the money developing it. Please refer to rule #1.
  5. See previous point.
  6. Before telling me to look something up, do your research. Oh forget it, I'll do it for you: http://songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2709

Sincerly,

The Radio Guy

6 comments:

RadioWhiz said...

Wow what an informative rant!

Congratulations on turning this into a, "he said/she said" bickering match. Naturally, this really helps all the 'advertisers' that flock to your blog for your opinion.

The only thing you're doing is reaffirming your ignorance to the industry; who already know you have no idea what you are talking about. Keep the nonsensical jargon coming...we can’t wait!

"...at no point in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that can be considered a rational thought. Everyone [reading this blog] is now dumber for having [read it]. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul!"

Unknown said...

So.. sounds like a disturbance in the force, an anger in the blogosphere.

Blog on Radio Guy, blog on.

You are right on the money, and your info is, well, seemingly well researched. Your truth on this cities radio sounds better than the "spin" the insiders are throwing up here.

We can't wait for more!

the sundance kid said...

The radio whiz is just that. A radio whiz. His or her comments are dead on. It's comments like yours that makes the industry have the lack of integrity it does. Advertisers and clients have an affinity to not always believe what they are told - gee I wonder why???????
You might want to start with "radio 101" and work you way up again so you actually say you earned the position you are in.

Unknown said...

Hello Bloggers.

This is a fairly funny blogspot.

I'm pretty sure that this "Radio Guy" created this spot to vent his thoughts on Kingston radio (that's what blog spots are for right).

It seems a bunch of namless dejays and such (Radiowhiz, Sundance Kid) from Kingston radio stations don't like what he is saying, so they trash his blogs.

Isn't it always the way, these blogs seem to cut a little too close to the bone.

Hey Radio Whiz and Sundance Kid, how about listening to what you are hearing instead of attacking.

Perception is reality.

Jim Elyot said...

Hey KRI. Happy to have someone here commenting on Kingston radio. I don't know how "inside" you are, but who cares, you've started a dialogue, and that can only be good for our business. To echo Chris "blog on Radio guy, blog on."

But did you have to call me "old?" That was kind of harsh.

ps: try my blog at http://jimsthreeminutes.blogspot.com/

Jim Elyot said...

Oops. Just checked and Eddie Vedder is about five years younger than me. My bad. The nurse will now wheel me back to my suite here at the home, so I can nap before the early supper. Kidding!